History of Lviv medical education reaches 1661, when for the first time, together with other departments opened the medical faculty at Lviv University, which lasted only two years. According to the decree of Emperor Joseph II on October 21, 1784, for the second time, on 16 November 1784, the grand opening of the Medical Faculty of the University of Labor-year study, which enrolled its first students in 1786. Every year the Department recruited 20 students.
September 9, 1894, in the anatomical body was held for the third time the grand opening of the medical faculty. Then the medical faculty was specially built enclosures for theoretical departments (street Pekarska 52 and 69) and clinics (now the street Nekrasov): anatomical and physiological, morbid anatomy, chemistry, obstetrics and gynecology, surgery, internal medicine, dermatology, otorhinolaryngology, and others. The clinical base of the Medical Faculty became a city hospital, where posted Lviv Regional Hospital.
In 1939, after entering Western lands of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic Lviv University Medical Faculty singled out from the university and reorganized in Lviv State Medical Institute with two departments – health care and pharmaceutical (December 1939. – January 1940.).
In connection with the reorganization of higher medical education in 1992 at three schools was established a medical school. However, given many numbers of students in 1995, the faculty was divided equally into two divisions and the Medical Faculty №1 Medical Faculty №2. At faculties teaching process engaged 244 teachers and 16 researchers Central Research Laboratory. Total – 260 people, including 27 doctors, 136 candidates. Each year, Departments updated about 30 new, mostly young teachers. Support staff includes 72 persons and also persons 9 workers sports camp “Medic”.
Students studying in well-known in Ukraine and outside the department:
Department of Anatomy was established in 1784. The first head of the department was Anton Marghera. For 1788-1791rokiv department was not working due to the temporary closure of the medical faculty. In 1791 the department was headed Krauzneker Peter, who first organized the anatomical museum, which today contains unique anatomical preparations. The first head of the Department of Anatomy restored in 1894 the medical faculty was Professor Henry Kady – Ludwig Tayhmana student from Krakow. At various times worked at the Department anatomists outstanding scientists like J. Markov, A. Lyubomudrov V. Vilkhovy, L. Lychkovskyy. Today the Department headed by Professor YY Kryvko is fruitful scientific work in the field of functional anatomy, patterns of morphological changes in the body in various pathological conditions.
Department of Internal Medicine propaedeutics number 1, which is now headed by Professor RJ Dutka was founded in 1939 by Professor J. Greco, which in 1944 was headed by the then director of the Lviv Medical University – Professor T. Hluhenkyy. In 1950, Professor T. Hluhenkyy was elected head of the department Hospital Therapy and propaedeutic therapy department headed by Associate Professor V. Chernov. From 1963 to 1988 the department was headed by prof. Yu. Detsyk. In 1959, under leader Professor P. Popelyuk was created Department of Internal Medicine Propaedeutics pediatric faculty. In 1985 two departments were merged into the Department of Internal Medicine Propaedeutics that from September 1988 headed by Professor R.Dutka. Since 1998 were distinguished Chair of Internal Diseases Medical Faculty №1 (head Professor RJ Dutka) and Chair of internal medicine and nursing (headed by Prof. OG Jaworski). During this time expanding the academic and clinical base of the department. And successfully developing three research and clinical research areas – cardiology, gastroenterology and pulmonological. Today the department worked out new approaches to the diagnosis of combined damage of the pancreas, stomach and duodenum 12.
Department of Internal Medicine number 2 from 1945 to 1948 headed by Professor Vladimir Vasilenko, who organized a regional scientific society of therapists in. At various times, the department led by professors M. Kevdin, S. Martin, S. Olejnik., M. Panchyshyn. The outstanding contribution of Professor S. Oliynyk in the study of myocardial infarction, atherosclerosis, hypertension problems. Professor Oliynyk organized the Lviv Regional Society of Cardiology and was its chairman until 1984. Since 2008, the department of internal medicine №2 managed by Professor O. Radchenko. Department staff is studying the issue of rheumatism and lipid metabolism in various pathologies.
In 1939, at the Department of faculty therapy was first organized the course of tuberculosis, which lasted until 1951, and in March 1951, Professor Ivan knocked Department was established tuberculosis. Subsequently, the department was headed by Professor Yu. Kulachkovsky. Since 1991, the Department of tuberculosis was reorganized into the Department of tuberculosis and pulmonology, headed by Professor I.G. Ilnytskyy.
Department of general hygiene with ecology Lviv National Medical University named Danylo Galician – first hygienic department in western Ukraine – was founded in 1899. Founder and first head of the department was Professor of Hygiene (1904) Stanislav Bondzynskyy. Since 1906, health department headed by Associate Professor P. Kucera, and from 1919 to 1945 the department was headed by prof. Sigmund Shtoyzinh. After the war, due to the departure of prof. Q. Shtoyzinha temporarily Poland (1945-1946 gg.) Served as head of department Assoc. GI Stolmakova. In 1946 he became head of the Department Honored Scientist of Ukraine, MD, Professor Z. Vlas Martyniuk. The main directions of the research department at the time were to study the biological effect and hygienic importance of environmental factors of low intensity. In particular, the hygienic aspects of gasification housing and production, learning content in the atmosphere of carbon monoxide and mechanisms of its action on the body, conducted extensive research on the role of environmental factors in the etiology of goiter, hygienic assessment of urban municipal noise. In 60-70 years the department is launched in a new area of research on toxicological and hygienic assessment of pesticides, which is summarized in his doctoral thesis Hzhehotskoho M. and B. Shtabskoho, master’s theses Doloshytskoho S., W. Rebrina, A. Denisyuk, L.A. Tolmachev, J. Wise. The department initiated the introduction of individual methods workshops with students that are relevant to our time. Since December 1969, in connection with the transition prof. V. Martyniuk the post of scientific advisor, the department headed MD, a member of the New York Academy of Sciences, Academician of Higher School of Ukraine, member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society, an honorary member of the ULT, Professor Irina I. Datsenko, which continued launched by prof. V. Martyniuk scientific subjects on the problem of studying the influence of air pollutants on human health. Since 1999 the department is headed by MD, Professor V. Fedorenko. Department staff continues its research activities towards the environmental and hygienic assessment of the negative impact of low-intensity chemical factors on public health, has active research and teaching work. Monographs, textbooks, manuals, written in a chair, enjoying all the experts in the field of general hygiene.
The Department of Hygiene and Preventive Toxicology, founded in 1954 by Professor G. Stolmakovoyu, at various times worked as a professor Lutsyuk M., A. Byshevskyy, J. Pryputina. The department, which is now headed by Associate Professor BA Plastunov first time in the history of higher medical education at the initiative of Professor B. Shtabskoho has introduced a special course of preventive toxicology. In recent years, scientists of the department develop new scientific direction – the chemical safety rights. According to the results of this monograph Shtabskoho B. and M. Hzhehotskoho “xenobiotics, chemical homeostasis and human security.”
December 3rd, 1939 at Lviv Medical Institute was established by the Department of Physical Education, organized by and became the first head S. Hayduchok. From 1941 to 1951 years the department was headed by M. Tereshchenko (1941-1944) Kucheruk P. (1944-1945) Maznychenko V. (1945-1950), M. Isayev (1950-1951). From 1951 to 1971 the department was headed by the honored coach of Ukraine, Senior Lecturer, Safronenko AA, which played a major role in the development department as one of the tops in the sport, produced a generation of masters of sports. Athletes doctors under her leadership achieved significant success in competitions at various levels. From 1971 to 1979 chair Honored Worker of Physical Culture and Sports of Ukraine, Ph.D. Sciences, Professor V.N. Mukhin, which continues and strengthens sporting tradition, powerful enough separation is archery and initiates research areas of the department. 1979 – 1991 years, the department is headed, the candidate. Biol. Sciences, Professor V.S. Matyazhov who directs teachers to research. Since 1991 and the present time the department of physical rehabilitation, sports medicine, physical education, and valeology , headed Mahlovanyy Anatoliy, Sc.D., professor, academician of the Academy of Higher Education of Ukraine, Honored Worker of Physical Culture and Sports of Ukraine, Vice President for Research and Education work. The department dealing with junior students in general, special medical and sports departments. Over the years the Department of coaches produced many champions and winners of the world championship, European and Olympic Games. The department initiated the training of athletes with disabilities in archery – champions, and winners of the Paralympic Games and the European Championship. The department has six public and sports clubs.
Department of Surgery № 1 was opened May 25, 1897. The first head of department and director of the clinic was Professor L. Rydyher. He conducted the world’s first gastric resection for peptic ulcer. Over the centuries at various times headed the department known in the scientific world Professors G. Schramm, T. Ostrowski, G. Karavanov. Today the Department of Surgery №1 Ukraine headed by Academician M. Pawlowski. Future students at the Department of Surgery master the art under the guidance of experienced teachers and clinicians, including five professors who are authors of numerous scientific papers, books, and monographs on various aspects of surgical pathology. Department researchers conducted basic research immunological disorders states liver disease, biliary tract and their surgical correction, sorption detoxification methods, gastroenterology, Coloproctology, endocrine disorders.
Department of General Surgery was founded in 1939 by Professor A. Hrutsoyu. At different times led the department known professors, surgeons, such as G. Kovtunovych A. Hnatyshak M. Podilchak A. Serednytska D. Makar. Today the main areas of research, led by Professor Victor P. Andryushchenko is a surgical infection, emergency abdominal surgery, surgical pathology in drug addicted patients.
In December 1954, was organized by the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology № 2 pediatric, sanitary and dental departments, headed by Professor O. Babadahly and 1982 directs the Department corresponding member of Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Leonid Borisovich Markin. Department staff is working successfully fetal hypoxia problems, weakness of labor activity, prevention of bleeding.
Department of Pathological Physiology was established on the basis of the medical faculty of the University of L’1896-1897 school year and was called; Department of General and Experimental Pathology. Its first head was a professor – Jan Prus. Head of the department was: 1942 – 1944 – Professor Bronislaw Hendosh; 1945 – 1948 – Professor GV Peshkovskyy; 1949 – 1959 – Professor I.G. Fedorov; 1959 – 1964 – Associate VP Bezuhlov; 1964 – 1988 – Professor T. Mitya; 1988roku – 2005 – Professor M.M. Bidyuk. Since 2005, Head of the Department – MD, professor, honored worker of Ukraine, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, winner of awards Yaroslav the Wise, MS Reheda.
Department of Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy was founded in 1955, headed by Associate Professor J.A. Rudnytska-Kryshtalsky, a graduate of the Medical Faculty of the University of Krakow. During 1957, the department was headed at different times by prof. Ossetian T.G., Assoc. Marinov V., doc. Goncharenko O.T., prof. Pobihaylo V.M. Assoc. Hnatyshak R.-YE.A. They were real clinicians, radiologists, and teachers galaxy numerous radiologists. Prof. V.M. Pobihaylo and Assoc. Hnatyshak R.-YE.A. much attention was paid to the development of radiology. Since 1991, the department read the course “Radiation Medicine”, devoted to the effects of ionizing radiation on the human body and the medical and social problems of the Chernobyl disaster. During this period the department in addition equipped with X-ray apparatus, radioisotope laboratory dosimetric laboratory to study the content of incorporated radionuclides and radiometry pollution of the environment. In training programs today include issues of ultrasound diagnostics, computed tomography, and nuclear magnetic resonance. The department successfully working at clinical sites Regional Hospital, Children’s Specialized Hospital Regional Radiation Center. Today the department was headed by Associate Professor Dats I.V., a member of the regional expert council to establish a causal eyeballs diseases and exposure to ionizing radiation. The main scientific themes of the department are to study the complex effects of ionizing radiation and environmental factors on the formation of pathology in liquidators and persons affected by the Chernobyl accident. Moreover, Department cooperates with the Department of Endocrinology research on “Clinical and experimental study new methods of diagnosis, prevention and treatment endocrinopathy.”
In order to systematize training of family doctors and research in family medicine order of the rector of Lviv State Medical University in 1993 created Department of Ambulatory Care and Family Medicine, which since its foundation headed by prof. Sklyarov E.Y.. The department trained students of the 6th-year medical faculty in the field of “Medicine”, “Medical prophylaxis”, “Pediatrics” subject “outpatient studies,” “General practice – family medicine”, “Principles of Family Medicine”, “Fundamentals of Gerontology and geriatrics. ” Department of Dermatology began September 1, 1898, was headed by prof. B. Lukasevych to 1924. During the century department headed by prof. Lenartovych J. Sci. T. Hluhenkyy Sci. A. Lavrov, prof. A. Stein, Professor. A. Shcherbakov, prof. M. Oak, prof. A. Lavrik, prof. Turkevych J. Assoc. At Zaichenko, Assoc. V. Sidorenko. Since 2006, the Department of Dermatology FPDO rate of skin diseases manages prof. O. Nadashkevych. The department offers courses with “Dermatology”, “Venereology” and “Cosmetic” for students of 6th year medical and dental students of 2nd-year faculty. Also conducted training of interns and students of the specialty “Dermatology” and “Cosmetology”. In June 2011, was reorganized departments, formed as a result of Department of Ambulatory Care, Family Medicine, and Dermatology, Venereology. Head of the department was Professor Oleg Nadashkevych Nykonovych. Today in the department 33 male faculties for professional direction: therapy, pediatrics, surgery, obstetrics, gynecology, dermatology, venereology. The department carries out research work on “Clinical and experimental study monitoring, diagnosis and standardized treatment of metabolic diseases of internal organs and their complications.”
Central Research Laboratory and the Laboratory of Industrial Toxicology, founded in February 2002 Head of Laboratory Senior Research Fellow, MD, professor Kuz’minov Boris Pavlovich. The main areas of research: biochemical research at various origins physiological and pathological conditions; toxicological and hygienic studies justifying the permissible content of harmful substances in the environment; sanitary-chemical research to job evaluation; electronic histological studies of biological objects.
A number of disciplines are studying the curriculum, students of the departments studied dental, pharmaceutical faculties and faculty of postgraduate education.